Sunday, September 12, 2010

South Texas Sky 20x16"

© Debbi Smith Rourke
South Texas Sky  20x16"
Oil on canvas. 
Reduced to $400 (was $455) + tax (TX only) + $20 sh/h

My family has enjoyed vacationing on South Padre Island since I was a young girl. After not visiting the island for 3 years, Jim and I quite enjoyed our trip in late June. I  have always been intrigued by the maize fields prevalent between the King Ranch and Harlingen. I painted this last weekend from a photo I took, but today added the liquin glaze. Friend and art buddy Nancy Michalewicz suggested I add some color from the landscape as a wash into the sky and that really completed it for me. Thanks Nancy!!

5 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

I love the strong complementary colors!

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Deb, Love the drama, and emotion of this painting! So striking, just beautiful!

Karen Bruson said...

The diagonals of the land works so well with the shapes of the clouds.

LindaHunt said...

I really love the simplicity of your work...and the color is very exciting!

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

I really like the direction your most recent paintings are taking! Very nice feeling about the colors and the rendering.