Monday, January 28, 2013

Sandy Ostrau Workshop with Nancy Hartley

In mid January I joined artist Nancy Hartley at a fabulous abstract painting workshop in Berkley, CA taught by accomplished artist Sandy Ostrau. Sandy paints amazing abstracted landscapes and figurative works. This was Nancy's second time to take one of Sandy's workshops. We had so much fun. Above, Nancy and I are taking a quick break from painting. 


Here is Nancy with one of her fab paintings. Be sure to check out Nancy's art blog.
Her work is so striking. She has an unmistakable style. 

 Here is Sandy demonstrating how she starts a figurative work. Somehow I missed 
getting a great picture of her.  You should see the joy and excitement in her eyes. 

 
Close on the beginning of one of Sandy's figurative paintings.

Here is Sandy's completed figurative painting she started in the workshop (above).

 Here's a completed abstracted landscape Sandy started in our workshop. It's clearly abstract, 
but you know it's a landscape. Love her colors, thick juicy paint and graphic designs.

Sandy took this picture of me as I attempted to move beyond my patterns
to begin to play and experiment and see what emerges. It's magic!

Sandy Ostrau is represented by Allison McGrady. Nancy, my husband Jim and I toured Allison's gallery in Orinda while we were in the Bay Area. Check it out! Now, it's time for me to head to the studio to start creating some new works with all I learned!! Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Amy Hillenbrand said...

Oh that was a fun little tour of your trip. Fun to see you and Nancy in the pictures. Looking forward to seeing your new creations after this workshop.

Pam Holnback said...

Wow! Loved seeing all of this from the workshop. Can't wait to see your new work!

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Deb, Great post! This was such a fun WS! Sandy was just terrific, and having you there made it all the more special!!